Maclaren Product Upgrade Programme
On 10th November, Adventure Brands Limited the Maclaren distributor in New Zealand announced a “voluntary stroller upgrade programme” as a precautionary measure to reduce the risk of accidents occurring when children come into contact with strollers while they are being folded or unfolded. The program will involve the distribution of protective ‘hinge covers’ for the elbow joints on the stroller.
An increase within the USA of children trapping their fingers in the elbow joint of the stroller while it is being unfolded has led Maclaren USA, Inc. to work with their national safety commission (“CPSC”) to develop the covers to offer protection beyond the existing US and global safety standards. There is no product defect or standards non-compliance involved. It is understood that there have been 15 reported incidents of injury caused by children trapping their fingers in the USA over a period of 10 years and approximately one million maclaren umbrella strollers sold in this time. There have been no reported incidents in NZ. Following careful consideration of the level and nature of reported incidents outside of the US, it was concluded that similar action is not required in other countries, especially as all requirements of the product safety and quality standards are met.
Maclaren has engineered its strollers to specifically exceed global standards for safety, reliability and durability. Nothing carries the Maclaren name until it is researched, tried and tested. Maclaren’s formal compulsory Zero Tolerance policy of safety issues ensures we have a highly rigorous safety ethos from raw material stage to delivered product. Based on Maclarens global commitment to safety, the Maclaren Product Upgrade programme will also be offered to New Zealand consumers with the hinge cover being available as early as next week.
It must be emphasised that the Maclaren strollers are completely safe when used correctly and the hinge cover is being offered as a precautionary measure only to prevent any chance of possible future injury.
The New Zealand distributor has set up a free phone number to handle any consumer enquiries and is offering the hinge covers to existing Maclaren consumers free of charge. All new Maclaren strollers sold from this date will already have the hinge cover fitted.
Maclaren strollers are proudly sold through Babycity stores nationwide.
Phone (07) 541 1227
Important Safety Tips from Maclaren
- Always read the operating instructions before use—don’t force the mechanisms— stop and check the instructions.
- Keep children clear of the stroller during opening and folding.
- Never leave your child unattended in a stroller – even with the harness fastened.
- Always use the safety harness.
- Don’t overload the stroller. Heavy items hanging from the handles can cause the stroller to topple over.
- Don’t let children play or climb on a stroller and don’t carry a second child on a stroller designed for one child.
- Negotiate curbs carefully. Wherever possible always carry a stroller down flights of stairs.
- Always apply the stroller brakes when stationary.
- Keep the stroller clean: check brakes and wheels regularly.